It is common practice nowadays at many IVF clinics to incorporate acupuncture treatments to support IVF (Invitro Fertilization) and IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) procedures. Many studies are showing that acupuncture treatments, particularly when administered before and after embryo transfer, can significantly increase the chances of conceiving.
Acupuncture Helps Support IVF & IUI By:
- Increasing blood flow to the uterus and reproductive organs
- Relaxing the uterus and preventing it from contracting
- Reduce uterine inflammation
- Helps with uterine lining
- Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- Regulating the hormones
The Benefits of Acupuncture with IVF
- A 2002 randomized study in Germany was conducted on 160 patients undergoing IVF, with 80 patients receiving no acupuncture and 80 patients receiving acupuncture immediately before and after the embryo transfer. Results: 34 of 80 patients (42.5%) in the acupuncture group were pregnant compared with 21 out of 80 patients (26.3%) in the non-acupuncture group.
- In a systematic review and meta-analysis published in 2008 in the British Medical Journal looking at the effects of acupuncture with Invitro Fertilization (IVF), it was concluded that acupuncture given with embryo transfer improved the rates of pregnancy and live birth among women undergoing IVF. It suggests that acupuncture increased the odds of clinical pregnancy by 65%.
Our IVF Support Program
We recommend the following acupuncture protocol for the majority of IVF procedures to increase your odds of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy.
- Acupuncture 1-2 times per week for 3 months prior to IVF or IUI cycle to prepare the body, balance hormones, reduce stress, increase blood flow to the reproductive organs and increase egg quality.
- During IVF cycle: acupuncture on Day 2-3, 7-9, 12-13, immediately before and after transfer, 3 days post-transfer, and 7 days post-transfer.